|Location||Durban, KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa|
Africa Health Research Institute (AHRI) seeks an innovative Senior Communications Officer to lead on the implementation of a series of new, ambitious projects within AHRI’s wider public engagement and public communication of science programmes of work.
AHRI is looking for a creative individual with strong storytelling, visual and written communication skills. We need a multi-tasker with excellent attention to detail who can produce work of the highest quality under tight deadlines. Our ideal candidate will be curious about the world with a demonstrated interest in scientific research and public engagement with science. The incumbent should have a background in media, communications or a closely aligned field.
|Industries||Academic,Healthcare,Ngo / Non-Profit,Pharmaceutical / Medical / Healthcare / Hygiene,Research,Science & Technology|
The Senior Communications Officer will work in close collaboration and partnership with AHRI researchers, members of the community, and the Communications and Public Engagement teams to implement a series of innovative new science communication and public engagement activities, including:
1. conceptualising and leading on a science café series
2. co-creating an annual multimedia exhibition
3. co-developing a children’s radio series
4. developing a comprehensive media toolkit
5. developing an annual science theatre production
1. Degree or diploma in journalism, media studies, science communication, communications or a closely aligned field. Alternatively, a BSC or BSocSci and honours, or honours-level equivalent, in science
communication, journalism or a closely aligned field.
2. Master’s level degree would be advantageous
1. Minimum of five years' in a media or communications environment
2. Experience working in a communications role in a tertiary institution or research organisation is an advantage
3. Demonstrated experience in a science communication or public engagement with science role is an advantage
1. Excellent English verbal and written communication skills
2. Impeccable attention to detail
3. Must be able to work under pressure and to tight deadlines
4. Basic photography and videography skills
5. Functional knowledge of photo editing, design and video editing software
AHRI is fully compliant with South African labour law and is committed to employment equity. This position is open to South African applicants and also valid work permit/visa holders.
AHRI reserves the right in special circumstances to accept late applications or to extend the above date to facilitate further searches. Furthermore, AHRI reserves the right not to make an appointment. Please consider your application unsuccessful if you have not been contacted within 4 weeks of the closing date.
|Job Closing Date||26/02/2020|