|Company||Herotel (Pty) Ltd|
|Reference #||Infrastructure Technician Senior|
|Location||Worcester, Western Cape, South Africa|
Applications are invited for the Infrastructure Technician - Senior position based in Worcester, Western Cape
The purpose of this role is to contribute in building and maintaining wireless and fibre infrastructure for the business. The role will be responsible for both building and maintaining the wireless infrastructure while only maintaining and expanding fibre infrastructure as the fibre build requires.
Identify and mitigate risk not only to the business and its infrastructure but also to its staff, maintaining high safety standards in the workplace. Be innovative in improving our infrastructure quality, providing the customer with uninterrupted connectivity.
|Job Functions||High Sites|
|Industries||ICT - Information & Communications Technology,IT - Information Technology,Technical,Telecommunications|
Key Performance Areas would include, but are not limited to:
• Assist in the construction, installation and maintenance of communications towers, fibre networks and support structure like data centres.
• Meet project deadlines and be able to respond to any type of network outage, this includes both highsite outages as well as fibre network breaks.
• Climb tall structures daily (50 meters or more) with a load of up to 20kg.
• Analyse situations accurately Identifying potential future risk factors that will influence the performance of the Infrastructure and maintaining as safe working environment, while adopt an appropriate course of action when risks become apparent.
• Climbing and working on communications towers for the purpose of installing, replacing and repairing antenna systems/equipment, performing tower maintenance.
• Building and repairing fibre network infrastructure for the purpose of maintaining and expanding the existing fibre infrastructure where damages might occur or small expansions are needed.
• Install and maintain various cable and connector types.
• Weatherproof all types of installations.
• Install, maintain and repair power equipment and data routers.
• Follow instructions accurately according to the work schedule (ticket/job card). Escalate situations to the infrastructure team leader when factors may arise that will impair him/her in completing his/her work order successfully.
• Identify safety hazards and perform duties in a safe manner.
• Communicate and report verbally and in writing to other team members and management.
• Work with and maintain basic hand tools and mechanical equipment.
• Travel extensively, sometimes at short notice.
• Erecting of self-supporting and stayed masts.
• Lead a team and mentor less experienced tower technicians.
• Must be able to plan the construction of future infrastructure needs.
• Any ad Hoc tasks as required by their manager
The successful candidate must have the following experience/skills: -
• 2 to 4 years of industry experience.
• Driver's license (Off-road driving experience will be advantageous).
• Must meet the medical requirements and have an up-to-date medical certificate. • Successfully completed the Working at Heights and Tower Rescue Training.
• Technically inclined.
• Experience in manual labour, related to site preparation and/or equipment setup, having experience in both the fibre and RF fields with be advantageous.
• Hand skills and working knowledge of hand tools and mechanical equipment.
• Be capable of a hands-on approach in leading their team through demonstration.
• Must have experience with relevant planning and monitoring tools/software.
• Must be able to work at heights and confined spaces.
• Proficient in safe climbing practices.
• Must have a good understading of the Municipal regulations and/or by-laws.
• Must be proficient in the use of safety equipment, harnesses and climbing gear. • Be familiar with the hazards associated with tower climbing, construction equipment and working on or near energized lines and equipment.
• Must be physically fit to climb towers via ladders, carry equipment such as tools and gear, no fear of heights, must be able to work in various environmental conditions such as winds, rain, snow, extreme heat conditions etc., the ability to climb structures (sometimes 50 meters or more) with a 20kg load.
• Analyzing situations accurately and complete assigned task, recognize safety hazards and perform duties in a safe manner, must be able to work under pressure and without supervision.
• Employee weight and tools combined may not exceed 125 kg weight limit as specified by the manufacturer of safety equipment.
• Employee's waist circumference must not exceed 150 cm measured at the navel as specified by the manufacturer of safety equipment.
• Intermediary computer skills.
• Intermediary understanding of electricity (AC/DC).
• Intermediary understanding of solar energy.
• Intermediary understanding of power and battery equipment.
• Intermediary network and RF principles and troubleshooting.
• Adequate knowledge of network hardware and Software.
• Adequate knowledge of routing and RF protocols.
• Intermediary knowledge of cable and trunking techniques.
• Be able to communicate effectively with the entire team.
• Have advanced fault finding and problem-solving skills.
• Able to prioritize tasks according to their importance / urgency
• Grade 12
• OSHA Certification will be advantageous.
|Job Closing Date||06/12/2021|